The debate over the usefulness of facility management software is already concluded with recognizing its effectiveness in providing greater accuracy and better record keeping abilities than a paper-based system.
A whole bunch of articles and blog posts can be found on the internet listing the essential features of facility management software (FMS) that help an organization to work effectively, efficiently, and integrally. To know better about the effectiveness of FMS, we are listing here the features that actually help a facility manager in better solving their issues and managing their tasks.
Here are 6 effective features of facility management software:
- Ability to Generate, Assess, and Prioritize Work Request:
Facility managers are loaded with so many tasks that it becomes very tedious for them to organize each and every task according to their nature, priority, and relevance. Facility management software allows generating work request with complete details and notifying other personnel on what type of service is in need. It helps in proper delegation of the task.
An associated feature is the ability to put ‘priority’ on important work requests. This way it helps the recipients such as contractors, sub-contractors, and suppliers to prioritize and complete the high-importance task first.
- A Singular and Integrated System:
Being a single and fully integrated system, it helps in reducing time and effort applied for getting a job done. With proper categorization of tasks, it saves the facility managers from wandering and keeping away the redundancy.
The integrated system comes with single support network where you have one point of support for all facility management software needs: a single point of contact for all software issues, relationship with your support team, multiple problems can be solved with one phone call. It also helps in maintaining internal and external consistency at all levels by allowing easier establishment of best practices, and smooth and efficient workflow.
- Track Work Orders and Data History:
The main goal of tracking work orders is to keep a check on the trends of work orders as a future reference. It gives options to track work orders on a monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis. This helps the facility managers in evaluating the areas that need greater focus and attention.
It also allows tracking the equipment’s data like their history of issues, errors, and problems to prevent experiencing redundant issues. This way it minimizes the repair cost of equipment that is getting the same issues or defects.
- Helps in Tracking Consumable Inventories:
Facility managers have a huge pile of work to complete on a daily basis. Meanwhile, they forget about identifying the though-tiny-but-important consumable inventories like tissues and light bulbs that require scheduled orders. The absence of the stock of these essential items can annoy your tenants.
Facility management software helps keep a check on the stocks of all the consumable as well as non-consumable items by setting a stock updating alarm-like system in place. This keeps the facility from being short on any essential reserve.
- Preventive and Scheduled Tracking of Maintenance:
Facility managers also have to take care of the maintenance of the building and its components. The task involves disciplines such as painting, decorating, carpentry, plumbing, etc. These tasks come without warning but facility management software keeps a data of history of every maintenance work and their next probable date of maintenance. Not just that, it keeps a record of the contractors and sub-contractors who supplied the parts or provided the maintenance service.
The facility manager is also responsible for maintaining the building at its best and complies with all safety standards. The facility manager needs to take care of all legal processes of the building and those important schedules will not be missed through the help of facility management software.
- Cloud-based Application
Facility managers being the agents of delivery of support and services for an organization take great help from cloud-based or web-based facility management software in managing every aspect of the infrastructure and personnel management from their mobile, computer or personal laptops. This feature helps facility managers address urgent matters and access important files without the burden of rushing back to your office.
Because the data is stored on the server outside the office building, it provides an added level of security to them in case any disaster hits the office building such as a fire caused by a short circuit or the collapse of the building due to earthquake.
Good facility management software with the above mentioned features eases facility manager’s tasks at different levels to attain greater efficiency and effectiveness of the job being done.
What is Facility Management Software?
Facility Management software is the IT supported facility management system. It helps Facility Managers at the organizations to optimally utilize their assets and reduce space. As a result, the organization is able to save a huge cost of maintenance and gain overall efficiency.
Letâ€™s first understand what we mean by facility management.
Running a business involves several functions and aspects that are managed on a day- to-day basis. This includes people, process, places as well as the technologies. Facility management has come up as a distinct sector of business management. It encompasses the integration of all major business aspects to meet the objective of improved efficiency at an organization.
The two major functions of Facility Management are:
- Space and infrastructure management:
This largely covers workspace, supply sites, lease, planning & operation, cleaning, maintenance, safety, security, work supplies, furniture etc.
- People and organization:
Human resource, accounting, marketing, communication, IT, hospitality, work environment etc. are covered under this function.
Managing these interrelated areas of business manually on an everyday basis can be a difficult task. It may even create a lot of confusion due to lack of a centralized system. Moreover, if a full-fledged Facility Management team is appointed, the company may incur huge costs as well. Especially, if the organization is medium or large-sized, the facility management decisions play an essential role in business growth. It ensures the effective and efficient management of the processes and operations of the business.
This is the reason why Business Heads or CIOs look for IT aided Facility Management system. It is relatively inexpensive and generates effective results. A single individual can be able to manage a wide range of tasks across the facilities in an organization. These tasks may be organizing payroll, updating employee data, booking of meeting room, live status & record of clients etc. There is an endless list of tasks.
Related Post: All You Need to Know About Facility Management Software
How does Facility Management Software Benefit Your Business?
- FMS Can be Customized: Different organizations follow different processes and have varied needs. Facility Management software can be tailored to devise only the programs that are required by a particular organization. With Facility Management software, organizations are able to choose the exact tools that are enough to meet their needs. They need not pay for programs that their business does not require at all.
- Mobile Control: With the help of Facility Management software, the Facility Managers can oversee the business operations. They can control and coordinate even when they are out of office. They can manage facilities from any distant location. Besides, the users can access the software from multiple devices like desktops, laptops, tabs etc.
- Multi-city Operations: Facility Management software helps in mobile control of all the facilities from a remote location. So it also makes multi-city operations easier. A company with branches at multiple locations can centrally manage its facilities. It saves them a lot of capital investment.
- Cost-Effective: As mentioned earlier, Facility management software is cheaper than a dedicated team to manage facilities. It requires one time investment that in return offers greater value. Itâ€™s also highly cost effective because there are very few hands to be paid.
- Improved Overall Efficiency: The organization is certainly going to achieve higher overall efficiency with intelligent technologies. A single person or a team of few members can easily manage the facilities across the business. Moreover, it even saves time and of course brings down the costs too.
Does Your Business Require Facility Management Software?
Management and maintenance of a facility requires a lot of efforts and co-ordination. It includes several complex processes regardless of the size and scale of your business. Itâ€™s a time consuming process. And, if you deploy a full-time team for these tasks, it would incur a huge cost. Instead, if businesses opt for Facility Management software, they will be able to save a lot of time as well as money. The surplus time and money can be effectively channelized towards other areas of business growth.
As mentioned before, the Facility Management software can be tailored as per the business specific needs. The software can also be scalable to meet the future needs of the business. Businesses can choose what tools and modules they want in the software. Eventually they can control its costs too.
Regardless of business size and scale of operation, Facility Management software always proves to be beneficial for the growth of your company.
How to Choose the Right Facility Management Software for Your Business?
To choose the right facility management software, you must ask for a trial package to ensure the following factors:
- Analyze if it actually benefits the business
- Is it actually saving costs and time?
- Is it effective and efficient enough to help in the growth of a business?
- Is it really capable of taking up multiple responsibilities?
- Is the software user-friendly? Can a layman easily use it?
- Software must be so designed that multiple employees can access it simultaneously
Now, analyze which works best among all and choose the one which produces the most efficient and effective results.
In current business scenario, the digitalization is pacing up. Therefore, Facility Management software has a pivotal role to play in the growth of business. To enable the business reach greater heights, Facility Management software becomes imperative for the organization.