A woman tends to be naturally expert at skills such as problem solving, networking, and at handling different tasks simultaneously, and effortlessly. The fact that women are better than men at being emotionally intelligent is what makes them uniquely qualified for facilities management.
Women have always been born managers as they keep doing all their in-home tasks without even compromising on their out-home jobs. And the age of technology has only come as a boon to them. It has enabled them to take on all these in-home and out-home jobs simultaneously and by virtually being omnipresent at both places all the time.
In companies, both big and small, women are now acquiring higher positions and leading them successfully in attaining more heights. Their soft skills are proving them to be better than their male counterparts in managing different departments and even the most complex affairs. Facility management software is helping them in being more efficient than ever in handling all the problems that arise in the facilities management.Listed below are 5 skills that women possess generally better than men, and their utility in facility management:
- Networking Expert: Women are great networking professionals. They know it inherently how to create and expand their network. Employees also turn to women bosses with more assurance that their issues will be addressed. Unlike men, women stick together and protect one another. The connections they effortlessly make can be of great use to them as well as to the company. Utility in facility management: Making connections is like establishing a chain of potential problem solvers for you. Every workplace faces many issues related to space & infrastructure management, and people & organization management. A facility manager with these connections will not let you wait for the problem to be resolved. Networking skills help in making every task smooth, though tasks like supervising the staffs, and dealing with the complaints from management, vendors, and the inspectors will benefit the most from these skills.
- Relationship Specialist: Women do not require to learn how to make relationships. It comes naturally to them. Cultivating genuine, meaningful, and purposeful relationships is what they specialize in. They never quit on making healthy and long-lasting relationships. They thrive at creating and sustaining momentum for both themselves and others. This helps them in having a deep understanding of the limits and abilities of their colleagues and staffs.
Utility in FM: Relationship expert facility managers will be very effective at managing your company’s property leasing and rental agreements. The tasks may include tracking the terms of the agreements, monitor lease lock-in periods and rent-free periods, managing landlord contacts and dealing with them on payments, etc. Needless to mention the importance of relationship building for accomplishing these tasks optimally.
- Problem Solver: Men and women differ in their problem solving skills. Men are less communicative and tries to dominate the problem solving process to use it as a chance to demonstrate their knowledge and skills, while women focuses more on the process of solving a problem. During the process, women often rely on taking help of those close to them, discussing their situation in detail, and forming a team to address the issues collectively.
Utility in FM: Any facility manager is now able to organize their task right on their palm through online facility management software. These software have made a facility manager’s job easy, but you shouldn’t forget that computers can only organize your tasks and not physically do it. For that, you’ll need manpower and teamwork plays the best role here. Women facility managers tend to discuss the issues and problems in detail with their staffs and want them to get involved in the whole process. This teamwork makes the job easier for everyone.
- Opportunity Expert: Men usually loathe women for their opportunity grabbing skills. However, seeing opportunity in everyone and everything, and giving life to their own ideas and inspiring others to do the same is what makes women more practical and precise with their objectives and goals. Also, they don’t get their egos in the way and thus never get distracted.
Utility in FM: In facility management, the leader has to work with a wide range of data. An expert facility manager tries to find the opportunities for the company by assimilating them and looking for patterns, linkages, and relationships for having a clear path to future. Facility management software are a huge help here with their wide range of functioning with data.
- Emotionally Intelligent: Being emotionally intelligent at workplace is about being able to take critical feedback, refraining from blame games, giving relevant opinions that are valuable to the company or the entire team, and keep encouraging oneself and people around you for achieving a better working environment. Many researches conducted around the world prove that a woman’s brain is wired in a way that makes them more emotionally intelligent and aware.
Utility in FM: Facility managers communicate with each and every level of an organization such as their management team, workforce, third-party vendors, and the maintenance crew. An emotionally intelligent person with effective self management skills as well as strong social skills balance these communications and make the most out of it. Woman facility managers are found to be more apt with these skills, and great at handling and delegating tasks.
IT enabled facility management software are helping facility managers in administering the overall functioning of the company seamlessly and like never before. They provide with highly efficient modules that let the managers better plan, allocate, and monitor their tasks. And women facility managers, who are innately experts at these skills are taking great advantage of the facility management software modules to better manage each and every facility related affairs of the company.