Understanding Office Automation
The term ‘office automation’ refers to a combination of computer hardware, software, and network connection, made available to simplify and automate a variety of office operations, such as inventory management, facility management, accounting, email, and word processing. It is used to digitally create, store, manipulate, and relay office information and data, needed for accomplishing basic tasks and goals.
Office automation makes it possible for business organizations to improve their productivity and recognize easier ways to do business in profits. Started primarily as data processing and word processing tool, office automation now includes more sophisticated and complex tasks like integrating front office and back-end systems.
There are different types of automation, which can be used in different business industries across the globe. Office automation systems help in optimizing the existing office procedures by saving time, money and human efforts.
The Benefits of Implementing Office Automation System
- Data Storage and Manipulation: Data storage includes important and confidential office documents and records. Office automation system includes data applications, which are used to create or edit a document, file, spreadsheet or an image. There are various types of word processing and desktop presentation packages available, which allow creating or editing textual data. Similarly, you can find dedicated applications for editing spreadsheets and images.
- Data Management: Data management is one of the major components of office automation system that offers strategic advantages by simplifying the management of stored data and information. Large business organizations can monitor and control various projects and activities within the office through an electronic management system. Program schedules, tickler systems or reminder systems, and task management are some of the features, which empower businesses to have an eye on all business processes without any hassle.
- Data Exchange: Exchange of stored or manipulated data and information is also an important component of an office automation system. Sending files or exchanging data or information between one or more than one member of an organization has become possible with an electronic transfer application. Through a network connection, all data and information, including text documents, presentations, spreadsheets, images, and videos can be sent in real-time within a few seconds. Illustrating the collaborative nature of an office automation system, this would allow your employees to collaborate in real-time and enhance their productivity.
- Accuracy: Yes, it’s true! Computer systems and other machines are as effective as a human brain. Once the bugs are removed from a program or an application, it can help you in getting 100% accuracy in the day-to-day business processes. The software programs are more reliable than the human, who actually made it. Implementing an advanced business automation software reduces the probability of errors.
- Save Time and Resources: Office automation empowers businesses to save both time and money. It simplifies and automates those complex tasks, which earlier required a dedicated resource and a great amount of time. For example, with the introduction of the latest computer technologies and network communications, businesses are now not constricted by geographical limitations. And hence, they can easily save both time and money spent on traveling. Another great example is the digital storage, which eliminates the need of preserving hard copies and hence, saving paper and nature as well.
- Reduced Costs: Since every business process is now automated, you don’t need to invest much on hiring new resources for taking care of those tasks, which can be easily executed using an office automation system. As we know that time saved is money saved, your business enterprise can easily save huge by automating various complex business processes. With saving large on the overall expenditure and investment on other resources, your profit margins are surely going to improve.
Related Post: All about Office Automation System
Amit Prasad is the founder and managing director of SatNav Technologies and has business interests in a wide range of IT products. SatNav Technologies is an IT products company focusing on cloud based map data products and a pioneer in GPS, FMS & LBS Technologies. The product suite includes SatTracx in-the-field location based solutions and A-mantra in-the-office facilities management solutions. QuickFMS from a-mantra is a cloud based facility management system which enhances organization’s efficiency.